First of all, let me just say to THAW YOUR FISH. Otherwise you end up like we did.
Gather your ingredients. They should exude the feeling of Summer and a distant mariachi band.
* 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup beer
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 1/2 lime, juiced
* 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
* oil for frying
* 1/2 pound fish fillets, we used Tilapia
* 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
* 1/2 small head cabbage, finely shredded
1. To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).
2. To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, oregano, cumin,and cayenne.
3. Heat oil in deep, wide pan.
4. Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until tender and flaky.
Drain on paper towels. Crisp tortillas on stove. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce. Lime and salsa are optional. We included margaritas and an Orishas soundtrack. Salud!
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com